Foothill Graphics, Animation, and Web Design Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Down side to Social Media? - Forum Post Assignment

+20
Alvarez1994
Ross284
martin287
Vaughn406
Meitz3200
Algeyer3233
Miller3007
bailey314
bardis525
burke5252
Kim113
Hord392
Pierce219
kielty3436
horne2406
Tucker240
falline289
Holinski249
darasouk1033
Admin
24 posters

Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Down side to Social Media? - Forum Post Assignment

Post  Admin Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:46 am

Being too chatty on social networking sites can cause personal, work woes - Las Vegas Review Journal

Read the article about how social media can hurt you at your job or how if could effect you trying to get a job.

Post a paragraph with your thoughts on this topic. Read the article below also.

Is your Online Identity Spoiling Your Chances - The New York TImes
YOU looked wonderful on your résumé. Your references raved about you. The interview went swimmingly. Yet you didn’t get the job. Oh, no: did they see that Facebook photo of you dancing on a table? Or find out that you’re six months behind on your mortgage payment?

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Re: Down side to Social Media? - Forum Post Assignment

Post  darasouk1033 Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:29 am

I, now, know and understand that there are consequences when posting personal events on social networking sites that could effect others or even your occupation; whether it be your job or even at school. Because for me, I have a facebook account of my own, reading the article I can use that as a future reference if I ever update anything on my post. Hopefully everyone can use this as a future reference, if not, well than they're screwed (depending what they posted). I mean I understand it doesn't mean we can't post anything online anymore, but I think its highly suggested you watch what you say so that it doesn't effect others (nor yourself) Whether or not the post will be deleted, at least a few (or even a couple) of people have seen it.

darasouk1033

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Re: Down side to Social Media? - Forum Post Assignment

Post  Holinski249 Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:35 am

As useful as it is as a tool, only few people recognize the internet's awesome potential to damage if not used right. It can sabotage your reputation, friendships, relationships, work networking, and other social ties. The ability of a company to scan social networking sites and search engines for information to base their consideration of hiring you on is great, and many people do not realize is. Even something as trivial as a personal goal recently accomplished can be used against you, unknowingly, to damage a friendship or personal relationship. Go further, and your career may even be in jeopardy. Having a different social network site for each aspect of your life (for business, friendship, etc) is a good idea, but what a person posts on his personal account can still be seen by his coworkers and administration, and vice-versa. The internet is a very powerful too, but can you keep yourself safe?

Holinski249

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Social Media

Post  falline289 Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am

Social Media can get you in trouble if you use it the wrong way. People have lost their jobs by posting something that their job found offensive to the company. The article explains that you can post something, but should you? If it is something that can hurt you with your job you should not post it. If I had a job, I would probably not post anything about it on facebook or any other social networking sites. In the article "Is Your Online Identity Spoiling Your Chances" talks about how if you apply for a job and you don't get it, could the reason be that you have a picture on facebook that made you not get the job. It says people should probably check their facebook page before or make it private if you are trying to get a job. The article alos says that "If you are showing or saying anything on Facebook that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see take it down." You can not get hired for a job if you have something on the internet that the job doesn't like that isn't excluded by federal or state law.

Last edited by falline289 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

falline289

Back to top Go down

Post  Tucker240 Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:54 am

i undersatnd hoe bad it is to post stuff like that on facebok,etc. cause if your boss sees it you can get fired easily, as seen in the article. even if you tr to delete it someone has already seen it and the information cn get transfered instantaniously to your boss. so the best bet is not to post stuff like that on facebook or anything like that so you dont have to to through the hastles of getting in trouble or, yelled at or anything like that. cause it can also effect other people not just your job, could effect family members or employees. so be carefull what you post on your status's.

Tucker240

Back to top Go down

Post  horne2406 Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:22 am

After reading this article, i will be much more carefull of what i post on social websites. Everybody in the world could see what you post and that could ruin your freindships or even your life. Some people have had to learn the hard way, but because I read this article I am more aware of what could happen when you don't think about what you are say on a social website. The issues could even become involved with the law and you could face legal cosequenses. You would have to deal with lawers and attorneies and that just makes life much more complicated. I will definetly be sure to make sure what i post on websites is appropriate and that it wouldn't affend anybody. I think everybody that uses social websites should read this article.

horne2406

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty kieltys reply

Post  kielty3436 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:21 am

I believe this is true because once you post something on the internet its out of your hands and any one can manipulate it once it is out there.

kielty3436

Back to top Go down

Post  Pierce219 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 am

I understand how posting things on social networking sites can be bad and affect your chances of getting or keeping a job. I don't think it's all that fair for companies to snoop around your private life, but hey if your posting it for everyone to see, thats your own fault. Like the article said, "If you wouldnt want your grandma to see it, take it down." This article has helped me to be careful about what I post on Facebook and Myspace, especially when trying to get a job.

Pierce219

Back to top Go down

Post  Hord392 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:27 am

The internet is a useful tool but only few people actually know what the internet has potential of doing. If you dont use the internet smart and responsible you could end up losing your relationships or even your job. People who want to use social media sites should have an account for personal use and for carrer use. People can actually see stuff that you may not think they can see. Depending on what you post, the law could get involved and possibly have to face legal consequences. This article really does show the downsides to social media and I think everyone needs to read this no matter who you are or how old you may be.
Hord392
Hord392

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Social Media Opinion

Post  Kim113 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 am

You definitely have to be careful with what you post on the internet. People probably have lost their jobs because of something they said on facebook, myspace, twitter, etc... Michele Cababe almost lost her job because she talked about getting a bonus on facebook, and she wasn't even friends with her boss. After reading this article, I'm definitely going to be careful about what I post on the internet.
Kim113
Kim113

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Social Media Topic

Post  burke5252 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 am

My review of this article is that you should never post something on the internet that you don’t want people to see. So like Cababe almost lost her job over something that she posted to her friends on facebook. I have seen T.V. commercials that say don’t put anything you don’t want anyone to see on the internet. Even if you were to delete something on the internet it doesn’t mean it is really gone because someone could have already copied or pasted it or even seen it. So say you were to put something on the internet like a status on facebook bad mouthing you former employer, and the new company you are applying for sees it, they may think well want if he or she has a bad experience on this job he may go out and start bad mouthing us. Even if you were to put a picture of you up at a party were you don’t want your employer to see and they go and search your name and that comes up then there probably going to let you go from your job because you give there company a bad image. So if they saw that picture and had to give a reason on why they fired you I’m sure there not going to say it’s because you put a picture up that wasn't to pretty.

Last edited by burke5252 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

burke5252

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Down Side to Social Media

Post  bardis525 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 am

After reading both of these articles it is clear that there are two sides of social media. At first it is easy to see the plus of the easy way to spread the word about any advertisement very quickly to almost anyone. On the other hand it is just as easy to spread something that can hurt you in many ways just as fast. I feel that yes anyone needs to be very careful about what you say to anyone on the interenet. As an employer being able to see personal pages or info such as a Facebook page, i think can really help them make better decisions, but I feel that it is a little unfair to almost invade someones personal life. Some people take those pages very seriously and post very private and personal things on trusting that only people they want to see this information will see it. But as of now that isn't true. Yes being able too see that info can help make an employers decision easier, but i honestly feel that it is very unfair, to the everyday person.

affraid

bardis525

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Re: Down side to Social Media?

Post  bailey314 Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

Somethings on the posts, I agree with, and other stuff I don't agree with. I get why companies would check to see if you have a facebook, but I don't really agree with it. Is having a facebook or myspace going to change you? Does it make you less of a better person? No. "You didnt get the job because you have a facebook." I think that if you had a great interview and they really liked you, you sohuld get the job whether or not you are on a social network. Everyone is on a social network, most likely the person who is hiring you, is on a social network. If they are worried that you might bad mouth their company, then they shouldn't give you a reason to bad mouth them. Keep a happy worker. lol!

bailey314

Back to top Go down

Post  Miller3007 Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:24 pm

After reading this article, I do feel that social media can really effect you when trying to find a job. If you apply at a job somewhere its almost certain that you'll get "googled". Sometimes you might post something that a lot of people might find offensive and then when you go to your job, an your boss finds it to be offensive you could get fired from your job just because of a comment you posted on face,twitter or myspace. Shocked

Miller3007

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Down Side To Social Media

Post  Algeyer3233 Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 am

Social Media is a great tool in communicating with other peple. Wether it's to chat with friends, relatives or loved ones, or to meet new people and have fun. It is a fantastic way to have fun and communicate across the world. However, social media websites can also be harmful. Things you and others post can come back to hurt you in the long run. What you post never goes away; even when you delete it. Someone, somewhere has seen it. When using social media websites you must always be consious of what you are typing. What you say never goes away and can cause any number of negative consequences. One must be careful and catious with what they say and do. For example, negative or inappropriate content could cause a person to loose their job just becuase they were careless or negligent. Social Media websites and other resources like them have both positive and negative qualities, but people should always be aware of what could happen. People need to be aware of the danger presented by such modern, sophisticated, and widely popular resources such as social media websites.

Algeyer3233

Back to top Go down

Post  Meitz3200 Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 pm

Social media can effect your chances of getting a job by having rude or distasteful comments or pictures posted on a social networking site. When handing over your résumé you are handing over more information then you may realize. With your personal information on your paper your future employer can google you, facebook you, myspace you, or look you up anywhere else on the internet where your name may appear. If something comes up anywhere on the internet that will displease your boss it can really ruin your chances of getting the job or if you already have the job there is the potential of losing your job.

Meitz3200

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty Daniel Vs post

Post  Vaughn406 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 am

You have to be very carefull now adays with what you post online. To you it may be funny or a joke but your employer doesnt know that. You have to take everything into consideration before posting it. I know now that I need to be careful with what gets posted or I post of me. Many people dont get hired because they posted something on facebook they shouldnt of have. Social Media may be helpful but it may be your downfall you jsut need to be careful what you do with it.

Vaughn406

Back to top Go down

Post  martin287 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:27 am

Every time you put somthing on face book or sites like it people will see. Many people lose there jobs because of stuff on line that they post . Once you put somting online it will stay there no matter how hard u try to take it off . If you put somting on the internet for just one second people will see it .Many more jobs are now going online and searching you before they hire you .

martin287

Back to top Go down

Post  Ross284 Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:28 am

I agree with this post because when you post something on facebook anyone can see it. Everyone should be aware of what they post and the cause and effect of it. Many people can loose or not get accepted for jobs because of the things said on facebook.

Ross284

Back to top Go down

Post  Alvarez1994 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:32 am

I now understand that u have to be careful on what u put on the intertent cause the smallest thing u put on the intertent can be seen by everyone in the world can see it.
Alvarez1994
Alvarez1994

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty downside of social media

Post  weaver106 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:37 am

Social media does have some disadvantages. Your future employers can easily find you online. what you post you have a positive or negative effect on the employer. Which I think is a good idea. What you do in your freetime gives a good clue at how people behave at work. The employer wants a good worker that won't screw around, causing the company to lose money.

weaver106

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty The Down Side

Post  smock264 Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:45 pm

The first thing i want to point out is this is a load of horse! I understand not to put crazy pictures and cursing on my facebook because im sure family wouldn't like it and such but if you accidentaly say something or down load a picture, or maybe put a funny picture of your weekend with friends on the internet.. It shouldn't be held against you! I turned 16 not to long ago and im ready to take the step in my life and get a job but if my interview goes smooth and my grades are good, i definitely dont want a man/woman judging me on my personal life. Let me ask you this, "Would you like someone judging you for whats on your facebook. etc page?" Well, now it really is clear in my head not to put certain stuff on certain websites because obviously it might be put against me, but if your reading this i encourage you to really give it a thought about how you would feel...
Thank You

Very Happy

smock264

Back to top Go down

Post  sackett2993 Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 am

Arrow I understand the downside very well, but, i think mature people know not to post inaproprate things on public websites such as facebook and myspace. Anyone that posts bad things on the websites and dont get hired or even lose their job kind of deserves it for doing that.I think that if you are worried about your boss seeing your profile on whatever site you use, your doing something you shouldn't.
What a Face

sackett2993

Back to top Go down

Down side to Social Media?  - Forum Post Assignment Empty downside to social media post

Post  stet536 Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:50 am

Social Media can be very fun and sometimes useful, but these articles are completely right about the downsides. A lot of people share personal things on their social media profiles thinking that it's totally safe and only their friends will see it, but they're wrong. The wrong people can get information that you may not want certain people to know, and most don't realize that. Privacy setting aren't always enough. This sharing can cause you to not get a job, because many employers now-a-days look people up after interviewing them and don't give them jobs because of their personal lives.

stet536

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down